Sherry Fitzgerald O’Meara Guide to Selling when you own PETSNovember 16, 2018
When you’re a pet owner, your pet is a very important member of your family. However, even though it’s sometimes difficult for pet lovers to imagine, there is in fact a large proportion of the population that just doesn’t like animals in the house.
So how do you make your property appeal to everyone?
What to do when you have a viewing arranged?
You need to make sure that you don’t put potential buyers off by eliminating all traces of your pets if possible.
- When there is a viewing take your pet for a walk or leave it with a neighbour.
- Remove all pet paraphernalia: litter trays, dog beds, pet toys etc.
- Use scented disinfectant specifically for homes with pets to mop floors to eliminate odours.
- Use fabric refresher to eliminate odours from upholstery.
- Light scented candles for viewing
- Hire professionals to remove pet stains, buyers will spot them and form negative opinions about the rest of the house.
- Vacuum religiously to remove pet hair from upholstery and floors.
While you may feel everyone is a pet lover just like you, in reality this is not the case and it doesn’t make sense to limit your market and you need to look at selling your property in a dispassionate and logical way.
Give your buyers the chance to fall in love with your house and your beloved pets will soon have a new home to move to.