Prospect House, Dunmore, Carrigans, Co Donegal, F93 EE7D
€995,000 - Asking Price For Sale by Private TreatyArrange a Viewing
- Special Features & Services
- Originally built in 1820 as a Dower House.
- Fully restored, refurbished and presented in perfect order.
- Secluded grounds surrounded by mature trees.
- Five bedrooms.
- Elegant reception rooms.
- Basement wine cellar.
- Refurbished Outbuildings.
- Potential to convert Barn House into habitable accommodation.
- Hard tennis court.
- Private lake with fountain and waterfall.
- Walled garden.
- Views of Lough Foyle.
- Within 10 minutes of Derry City.
- South facing property.
- Mature trees and shrubs.
- Oil fired central heating.
- Alarm, CCTV security system and lighting.
- Broadband Internet.
- Septic tank.
- Mains water.
- Outside electrical sockets and water taps.
- Floodlights around the lake creating a lovely ambience.
- Electric gates.
- Access via main avenue and rear laneway.
Main House 345 sq m (3,715 sq ft) approximately.
Outbuildings 376 sq m (4,053 sq ft) approximately.
Barn House 76 sq m (819 sq ft) approximately.
For Sale by Private Treaty
Prospect House originally formed part of the Dunmore Estate and was built as a Dower House for the McClintock Family in the early 1800s. It was later home to Francis Heron, a Ramelton native, who emigrated to Canada and became a proprietor of the Hudson Bay Company.
The village of Carrigans was a plantation town when the Scottish Stewarts and Cunninghams settled in Carrigans after the Flight of the Earls in 1607. Rich in history, Carrigans is well known for large estates and good quality agricultural land.
Carrigans is a peaceful spot and yet incredibly convenient to Derry City, just 6km away with City of Derry Airport only a 20 minute drive. Letterkenny is also nearby and within a 20 minute drive of Prospect House.
Dunmore House and Oakfield Park with its tearooms and miles of garden walks are wonderful nearby recreational amenities but you are spoilt for choice with outdoor activities in this part of Donegal. Numerous prestigious Golf Clubs including the two championship golf courses at Ballyliffin, sailing on scenic Lough Swilly with its glorious sandy beaches, hiking and mountaineering are also available all year round. Shopping, cafes, bars and restaurants are close at hand, in Derry City, Buncrana and Letterkenny. In all, the proximity to Derry City is a huge bonus to this tranquil spot.
Derry City 6km
Built in the early 1800s, Prospect House has been lovingly cared for over forty six years by its present owners, preserving its original features and updating where appropriate. A protected historic structure, the house was originally built by the McClintock family of the Dunmore Estate as a Dower House for Mrs McClintock.
This stunning family residence comprises a two storey over basement Georgian home with a rear two storey modern extension. A bright entrance porch and hallway open up to a fine drawing room and formal dining room. Beyond these two reception rooms is the inner hall, which leads to the first floor bedrooms and basement wine cellar. The large kitchen / living / dining room, which is warmed by an AGA, leads to a sunroom, utility room, and sauna wing with boot room.
There are five bedrooms, two of which have either an ensuite bathroom or shower room. The first floor return, which is directly above the kitchen and sunroom comprises the main bathroom, large twin room and ensuite guest bedroom / study. Meanwhile, the first floor of the Main House accommodates the master bedroom with split level ensuite bathroom and two additional bedrooms.
The main bedrooms command gorgeous views across the gardens, lake and / or Lough Foyle. Throughout the house, original features are abound such as Wyatt windows and antique fireplaces.
Reached by a tree lined winding avenue, Prospect House sits amidst beautiful, well-tended, mature gardens and grounds some 3.88 Ha (9.58 Acres) of private parklands, which wrap around Prospect House. These grounds include a private lake, walled garden, lawn garden bounded by mature trees and accessed via a winding avenue with overhanging trees and through feature electric gates.
The lake is a focal point of the property with a fountain and waterfall and is home to many flowering lily pads. The house has been cleverly oriented to fully enjoy the grounds, so that the kitchen, drawing room and master bedroom enjoy views towards Lough Foyle and gardens.
The outbuildings have been meticulously well cared for and everything you can imagine has its own separate place to include gardeners shed, bin storage, potting house, sports shed, generator and oil tank shed, log shed, covered carport for three cars and a separate lock up covered area for lawnmowers, trailers etc.
Above the main outbuilding is a large open plan area, which has been used as a function room / games room and which fronts on to the tennis court. This building could be converted to habitable use very easily as all services are available. There is an additional detached single storey outbuilding, which is ideally situated for conversion to a one / two bedroom cottage. It has an independent access via the rear laneway, therefore, not interrupting the main house. These conversions would of course be subject to obtaining planning permission.
- Ground Floor
- Entrance Porch
- 2.39m x 1.82m (7'10" x 6')
- Solid timber entrance door with sash windows and tiled floor.
- Entrance Hall
- 2.98m x 2.61m (9'9" x 8'7")
- Internal timber doors with glazed inserts and Georgian fan.
- Drawing Room
- 6.87m x 4.60m (22'6" x 15'1")
- A large double fronted room with open marble fireplace and brass inlay. Wyatt windows with shutters. Views of Lough Foyle and lawns.
- Dining Room
- 6.86m x 4.64m (22'6" x 15'3")
- Dual aspect room with Wyatt window with shutters. Gas fireplace with marble insert. View towards front and rear lawns.
- Inner Hall
- 3.76m x 2.66m (12'4" x 8'9")
- Stairs to first floor and basement wine cellar. Window overlooking rear garden and barns.
- Kitchen / Dining / Living Area
- 6.37m x 4.92m (20'11" x 16'2")
- 1.41m x 0.97m (4'8" x 3'2")
- Fully fitted solid pine kitchen with double stainless steel sink. Oil fired, two oven AGA cooker together with Zanussi oven and four burner electric hob and Bosch dishwasher. Filtered water tap.
- Cloakroom and wc & whb
- 5.61m x 1.40m (18'5" x 4'7")
- Timber tile effect floor. Whb with under storage, wc. Towel radiator. Sash window.
- Sunroom / Playroom
- 4.53m x 4.36m (14'10" x 14'4")
- Double doors to patio area. PVC double glazed windows.
- Utility Room
- 5.40m x 2.55m (17'9" x 8'4")
- Door to patio area. Base storage units with stainless steel sink and drainer, plumbed for washing machine.
- Sauna Wing and Adjoining Shower Area
- 2.57m x 2.18m (8'5" x 7'2")
- Bespoke traditional sauna with seating for six people. Fully tiled shower cubicle with MIRA Sport electric shower unit. Tiled floor.
- 2.56m x 1.59m (8'5" x 5'3")
- Fully tiled shower cubicle, MIRA Sport electric shower. Tiled floor.
- Boiler / Boot Room
- 2.51m x 1.35m (8'3" x 4'5")
- Newly installed Riello oil burner.
- Basement Wine Cellar
- 4.05m x 4.02m (13'3" x 13'2")
- Purpose built basement wine cellar with feature wrought iron gate.
- First Floor Return
- 5.48m x 1.75m (18' x 5'9")
- Incorporating shelved hotpress. Bath with Perspex splashback, wc, bidet and whb. Sash window overlooking rear garden.
- 4.73m x 4.64m (15'6" x 15'3")
- Incorporating built in wardrobe and vanity unit.
- Bedroom / Study
- 5.83m x 5.34m (19'2" x 17'6")
- Incorporating built in wardrobes and under eaves storage, shower room, wc, whb and fully tiled shower cubicle with Triton T90xr electric shower unit. Door to rear garden.
- First Floor
- Master Bedroom
- 6.08m x 4.69m (19'11" x 15'5")
- Built in Wardrobes. Views of Lough Foyle and lawn.
- Split Level En-Suite Bathroom
- 3.58m x 1.53m (11'9" x 5'0")
- Wc, whb, bath and bidet.
- Landing / Study
- 4.13m x 2.72m (13'7" x 8'11")
- 4.58m x 2.98m (15'0" x 9'9")
- Incorporating built in wardrobes.
- 4.22m x 3.72m (13'10" x 12'2")
- Garden Shed
- 7.30m x 3.67m (23'11" x 12'0")
- 2.54m x 0.35m (8'4" x 1'2")
- Bin Storage
- 5.07m x 3.69m (16'8" x 12'1")
- Covered Car Port
- 7.65m x 5.06m (25'1" x 16'7")
- Log Shed
- 5.50m x 3.82m (18'1" x 12'6")
- Potting Shed
- 5.45m x 4.17m (17'11" x 13'8")
- Sports Shed
- 5.45m x 4.83m (17'11" x 15'10")
- Generator / Oil Shed
- 7.59m x 5.31m (24'11" x 17'5")
- Outside tap.
- 6.81m x 4.76m (22'4" x 15'7")
- First Floor Games Room
- 14.94m x 5.49m (49'0" x 18'0")
- 7.56m x 5.44m (24'10" x 17'10")
- 6.89m x 5.36m (22'7" x 17'7")
- Door to tennis court on either side of barn. Door to back lane / rear access.
- Tractor Barn
- 11.97m x 4.19m (39'3" x 13'9")
- with electric socket.
- Barn House
- 10.95m x 6.95m (35'11" x 22'10")
- With electric socket and Insulated floor. Potential to convert, subject to planning permission.
From Derry City take the A40 Letterkenny Road in the direction of Killea / St Johnston. At Nixons Corner turn left onto the A40 signposted for Carrigans, Lifford and Raphoe. Continue straight for 2.10 miles. Turn right immediately opposite the signpost for Foyle Meats. Proceed up the avenue to the gates of Prospect House. From Carrigans take the R236 towards Derry. Pass the entrance to Dunmore House and Gardens and continue straight for 1km. Directly opposite Foyle Meats and immediately after a large two storey house painted a cream colour on the left, take the laneway to the left.