The Rectory, Rectory Road, Fahan, Co Donegal, F93 X2W2
€1,200,000 - Asking Price For Sale by Private TreatyArrange a Viewing
Built in 1822, The Rectory is a most impressive detached two storey over basement residence of classical architecture. Standing on 1.68 Ha (4.15 Acres) approximately. The house is entered through wrought and cast-iron double gates with sweeping avenue leading to the front of this fine property. This well-proportioned residence is laid out over three levels and is surrounded by mature trees and shrubs, enhancing its privacy and appeal. The interior of the house is filled with many original period features including marble fireplaces, cornicing, centre rose, timber floors and original sliding timber sash windows and shutters.
Accommodation within The Rectory extends to 539 sq m (5,805 sq ft) approximately and includes three reception rooms and six bedrooms. The grounds also include a four bay detached two storey stone building and detached single storey outbuilding.
The arrangement of the accommodation, combined with elegant room proportions, 11 ft height ceilings and an abundance of natural light lends this home for comfortable family living. The house is entered through a solid timber front door with fanlight. The main entrance hall with its decorative ceiling cornicing and ceiling rose detailing leads to the principal reception rooms on either side. These double fronted reception rooms with high ceilings and working marble fireplaces, offer large, bright entertaining rooms. The inner hall and staircase lead to the upper floor landing with feature centre glass roof lantern flooding the area with an abundance of natural light. There are six bedrooms, two ensuite shower rooms and bathroom on this level.
The recently refurbished basement area, which houses a gym, pool room, numerous store rooms, could be converted to additional bedroom / living accommodation if desired. A formal dining room with original ceiling cornicing and centre rose, marble fireplace and high ceilings is also situated to the rear. A large country style kitchen with Aga Cooker is also situated to the rear of the house, as well as a utility and wet room shower.
This magnificent home has been lovingly maintained and cared for by the current owners.
The Rectory has been home to a number of Reverends since it was built in 1820. Rev. William Knox was probably the first occupant in 1822. Of note, Mrs Cecil Frances (Fanny) Alexander (1818-1895) lived here with her husband Rev. William Alexander in the mid 19th century, where he was appointed in 1855 to Upper Fahan. Cecil Frances was a well known Hymn writer and penned the famous hymn All Things Bright and Beautiful. It is thought Cecil Frances composed When wounded sore the stricken soul lies bleeding and unbound and The Golden Gates are lifted up while living in The Rectory. A modern plaque to the rear of The Rectory has been erected in honour of Mrs Alexander.
• Ready to walk into presentation.
• Sliding, Georgian sash windows.
• 3.35 m (11 ft) high ceilings.
• Stone built period property c. 1820s with many original features.
• Highly desirable and sought after location.
• Views towards Lough Swilly and Rathmullan in the distance.
Land and Boundary Map
The Rectory is situated on a mature private site extending to 1.68 Ha (4.15 Acres) approximately.
A map outlining the boundaries is available on request from our office.
National Inventory & Architectural Heritage
The property is a Listed Building and full details can be found on the National Inventory & Architectural Heritage website or click on the link below. https://bit.ly/2xCIIj9
Strictly by prior appointment with the sole selling agents.
- Ground Floor
- Entrance Hall
- 4.4m x 2.4m (14'7" x 7'10")
- Drawing Room
- 6.8m x 4.7m (22'4" x 15'3")
- Sitting Room
- 6.2m x 5.1m (20'6" x 16'8")
- Inner Hall
- 6.3m x 2.4m (20'9" x 7'11")
- Dining Room
- 5.5m x 4.5m (18'2" x 14'8")
- 5.7m x 4.0m (18'8" x 13'3")
- with AGA cooker and appointed in traditional, country style.
- Utility Room
- 2.7m x 2.4m (8'11" x 8')
- Rear Hallway
- 5.0m x 3.0m (16'4" x 9'9")
- Wet Room
- 1.8m x 1.8m (6'0" x 5'9")
- First Floor Return
- Family Bathroom
- 3.5m x 1.9m (11'4" x 6'1")
- Inner Hall
- 2.3m x 1.2m (7'6" x 4'0")
- 5.8m x 4.1m (18'11" x 13'5")
- First Floor
- 6.7m x 1.4m (22'0" x 4'9")
- Master Bedroom
- 5.7m x 4.6m (18'9" x 15'1")
- En-Suite Shower Room 2.62m x 1.95m (8'7" x 6'5")
- 4.5m x 3.5m (14'8" x 11'7")
- En-Suite Shower Room 2.75m x 1.71m (9' x 5'7")
- 4.8m x 4.5m (15'11" x 14'7")
- 4.9m x 4.6m (15'11" x 15'2")
- 4.6m x 2.4m (15' x 7'11")
- 7.2m x 2.5m (23'7" x 8'1")
- Pool Room
- 6.1m x 4.5m (19'11" x 14'8")
- Store Room
- 2.7m x 2.1m (9' x 7'0")
- Inner Hall
- 4.3m x 1.8m (14'1" x 6'0")
- Room 1
- 4.6m x 4.2m (15'3" x 13'10")
- 5.4m x 4.2m (17'10" x 13'11")
- Wc and whb
- 1.9m x 1.9m (6'3" x 6'1")
- Inner Hall
- 4.7m x 2.1m (15'4" x 6'11")
- 3.1m x 1.9m (10'1" x 6'2")
- 5.7m x 3.7m (18'7" x 12'2")
Driving towards Fahan / Buncrana from the Derry direction on the R238, pass the Topaz Petrol Station on the left. The Rectory is located on the right, a short distance further along, set back from the R238 and approached by a tree lined avenue. Th property should be easily identifiable by our prominent For Sale board. Latitude: 55.082633 Longitude: -7.459418 (copy into Google Maps for location / streetview).