Helpful tips to keep stress at bayJuly 17, 2019
We all know that buying or selling property can be one of the most stressful times in a persons life. At Sherry FitzGerald Lewis Hamill our aim is to make this process as painless as possible. Self-care is the most important thing we can do in this world. If we care for ourselves then we can more easily care for someone else. If we self-care we can put our full attention into what we need to get done. Here are a few helpful tips to manage your stress during this time:
- Breath – Sounds simple but it is very effective. When you feel your stress or anxiety levels begin to rise, stop for a minute and take 10 long slow deep breaths. Realy breath deep into your lungs and hold it for a few seconds, when you breath out empty your lungs completely and hold for a few seconds. When you take long slow breaths your body convinces your brain that it is relaxed.
- Make a list – It is very easy to get overwhelmed when we have a lot to do. Make a list of everything that needs to be done, this can help you see exactly what you have to do without trying to hold it all in your head. Prioritise by putting the most important jobs at the top of the list. By simply putting your tasks down on paper and out of your busy head it can help make things clearer and your head becomes less fuzzy. (We all know that fuzzy noisy busy head feeling!)
- Guided Meditation – Night time can be a struggle. When we finally let our bodies relax our minds suddenly start to go into overdrive. We can overthink and stress about what we have not yet done and everything that needs to be done. As our anxiety rises it becomes more and more difficult to get to sleep. We all know how important sleep is, especially when we have a busy day ahead. YouTube has some amazing guided meditations, you might have to scroll through a few to get just the right one for you. (Some voices can be very irritating!!) There are also some great apps like Insight Timer or Calm. Guided meditations can vary in length so depending on how long you have you can make your choice accordingly.
- Laugh – Sometimes when we are overwhelmed or stressed we think there is no time for laughter. (There is always time for laughter!) Even take 10 minutes while drink your coffee. Watch a funny video on YouTube or look up jokes, whatever works for you! Laughter really is the best medicine.
- Pat yourself on your back – It is very easy to only remember what you didn’t get done today or what you have to do tomorrow. Make an effort to remember what you did get done today. Try to recall your achievements to date. We are all too negative and hard on ourselves. We are human beings not human doers!!!!
- Finally, we all know these but just a reminder, take a walk, go for a run, do yoga, eat healthy, spend time with family, do what you need to do to reduce stress.